Saturday, May 30, 2009

Just Hangin' Out

It's been a relaxing Saturday... even though my to-do list is nagging at me pointing out that the sink is full of dirty dishes and floors need to mopped. I'd rather play with Isaac. He's so much fun!


It seems like we're in the endless saga of the missing top tooth... Just a few short minutes later, it looked like Isaac had been at the gym working out - his chest was soaking wet with drool! Where, O where is that tooth?!


He didn't stay at the other end of the room for long after he spied the camera. He's comin' after me!!
That all-too-familiar look of determination in his eye, the way his jaw is set and his tongue is clinched... so endearing.

We tried some more finger food today: ba-ba-bananas! I had to show him that is was okay to eat the banana - he was far more interested in playing with the squishy fruit, ending in fits of giggles.

What a mess! He was covered in a thick layer of banana goo... but he loved it! Yummy yummy for the tummy...

So I need some advice, mommy friends. Now that Isaac is crawling around, I really don't want his hands in his mouth all the time. But he's sure fighting me on this - what a stubborn kid! (Where did he get that from? No one is pointing fingers, but somehow I feel the heat of them on his mother). Anyway, I don't want him to be confused when it comes to finger food... any advice? I suppose I could teach him about washing our hands before a meal and then it makes it okay. All other times it's not okay.... Have any of you had this battle? I could write a whole 'nother post on how intentionally obstinate this kid can be when I KNOW he understands what I'm telling him!

8 comments:

pommom said...

I know it might sound strange but eating dirt is not bad for kids. Doctors have recently concurred with the old wives' tale that eating dirt is actually good for kidlets...it strengthens their immune system. ( My mom always used to say " a kid has to eat 7lbs of dirt to grow up healthy...a little overboard maybe,but you get the general idea : )
As for trying to keep his hands out of his mouth...good luck!

Ed and Christy Millard said...

what a sweet little guy! i'm probably not a ton of help on this, but i just let my kids put their hands in their mouth. i'm not exaggerating when i say that kenna chews on rocks and eats dirt. not that i'm happy about it. anyway, i just wash their hands before they eat and we've been doing baths every night. other than that, i just let them go at it and figure it builds their immune system. hope that helps:)

economygeek said...

Don't sweat the hand thing-this is normal! Placing things in his mouth is how he learns textures. Just make sure he can only access safe things to put in his mouth at this point-keep the other things out of reach. Dirt won't kill him.

economygeek said...

Oh, by the way...Sarah was eating rock and sand on the beach the last time she was there-she's fine. She even seemed to enjoy sand. I think she finds it similar to clam chowder. Hee, Hee, Hee!!!

economygeek said...

Ask Kevin about using skunk cabbage leaves for flooring for our forts in the dried out areas of the swamp. If dirt will kill you he would have been dead. :D It's just begun!

Anonymous said...

There is no way to stop hands in the mouth. I don't worry about it around places I'm familiar with. At home, I just mop and vacuum often. If we're out, like at a restraunt or museum or something I constantly wipe his hands with a wet wipe until we get seated.
I figure kids need germs to build their immune systems.

Tia said...

Ya know.....I think every first time Mom is a little like that! You get a little paranoid about what they are putting in their mouths...that's okay! But you can relax a little, and maybe Mop and Vac more JUST KIDDING! I wouldn't be TOO concerned, but a little cautious is okay! And give yourself a little break, the first time around for anything is the most nerve racking!

Sharon said...

I was exactly like you Rachel! hee hee. I really didn't like Andrew putting his fingers in his mouth in the beginning especially when he was crawling around. So, what I did was I pulled it out everytime he put his fingers in his mouth and gently corrected him by saying, "your fingers are dirty, please do not do that" and other times I would simply say "no" and he got the idea. Also, our sectional sofa creates a good amount of enclosed space and I closed it off with the playyard so he couldn't escape and I spread out a big blanket on the floor and let him roam around there. BTW, you have some great pics of him eating eggs. He's way to cute!